About This blog

04/09/2023

Political thread - introductory email

Hi all

I have been grappling with the question of what to read/watch/view in relation to the coming elections -This note is to those who, I suspect, are interested in this thread.  I see it as part of a bigger thead (or strand) which is about civics.

The following are three thoughts ... we might start a conversation!

Ngā mihi

Elaine

 

(1) I am hoping we can clarify some ideas without involving those who are, frankly, not interested.  And that we can share some key ideas with all of 7+ and beyond.  So -
  • Question - do you want to be an active part of this thread (which I see as sharing ideas as they arise or would you rather wait until we report more widely on our ideas (presumably by reporting on a thread to Zoom in 9 days time. 
I am not sure what the best tech tool is for this .. and want to play with ideas .. it could be a combination of email, blog, whatsapp group, document development in Google etc. .. please chat with me about this as it arises.  We are starting with just an email!

.........
(2) I've been grappling with what to watch and listen to .. (yes, I read stuff - and there could be articles we share BUT - I do NOT have time to watch/listen/read what others suggest. Yet I want good tips on what I am missing.  Here is where I am up to ...

I will stream the following if I cannot listen live and have missed recording them.  In each case, it is possible to view live and I have a recorder which can pick up both radio and Tv so I can get good volume and picture through my TV for all of these.   Commonly I watch recorded TV and radio - rather than stream. 

Now that parliament is no longer operating we have moved to a different phase.  The following are mainly focused on the election - but not exclusively. 
  • Q and A with Jack Tame, TV1 Sunday 9am
  • Newshub Nation, TV3 Sat am (and replayed Sun am)
  • Caucus, RNZ - Sunday after 6pm news (3min or so) - this is recorded by four senior commentators on the preceding Thursday as a podcast. 
  • Nine to Noon - RNZ - political commentators after the 11am news (this used to be called "From the Right and From the Left - and has been one of my favourites for years)
  • The Hui - TV3 - this week's edition gets my high recommendation - I have not listened to it all, but I am interested in our comments on it. 
I like the idea of sharing what we watch BUT with a bit of why this particular episode is interesting.
  • So .. a question - what have you watched/viewed/read lately that interests you - or gives you insight - in a way that is worth sharing - what I am trying to do in point 3 - is give an example of what would tempt me to also view something.

(3) My comment for today is that I have been recording The Hui, but not watching it.  In the interests of this email I started watching a few minutes ago.  The Hui covers things from a Māori perspective - the following was a helpful, reasoned overview of the political scene now - much calmer and less frenctic than others. Do you agree? 


image.png


I plan to watch it properly later today and ping out an email about it to you. 
  • Question - Do you have any comments or thoughts about any of the above (Kevin and Niki are still away - this thread might grow slowly!).


3 comments:

  1. I am frustrated because I cannot edit this post, or any other post. Instead I get text without formats - why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be the view you are looking at it in, perhaps.

      Delete
  2. I'm still working my way through the undercurrent podcasts.

    ReplyDelete